Old January 19th 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default The Water Incident - And More

On 1/19/2017 12:46 AM, John Kasupski wrote:

As any cat lover knows, our feline friends must always have access to fresh
water. Some of us, however, have cats whose opinion of just what qualifies as
"fresh" and what doesn't differs from that of others.

When I first got Minnie, she'd often try to jump up onto the kitchen counter
next to the sink...especially when I was standing there doing dishes or whatever
and had the water running. She couldn't quite make it then, but that didn't stop
her from trying, and sometimes I stopped and dried my hands so I could pick her
up and boost her up to her indicated goal without getting her wet. She'd then
stand there watching me or and looking out the window into the back yard and so
forth until I was finished and put her back down.

Always, I'd wash and dry her water dish and fill it with fresh, cold water, and
often she'd go over and drink some as soon as I put it down.

Then came the day I put the just-filled bowl of water on the floor, and she
immediately ran over and snarled as she smacked the top edge of the bowl with
her paw, causing the bowl to tip over and dump most of the water all over the
floor. While this sight was still making its way from my eyes to my brain, she
turned and ran across the kitchen and tried to jump up on the counter next to
the sink. She didn't make it...but Charlie (RB) used to insist on drinking right
out of the faucet and so had at least one of my friends' cats, so I realized it
was possible that Minnie was "one of those" - and there being only one way to
find out, I picked her up and put her on the counter, turned the cold water on.
and said to her, "Go ahead, baby." Can you guess what happened next?

I call that The Water Incident.

(snippage)

Minnie wounds extremely bright! Persia (RB) used to jump from the
toilet to the vanity/sink in the tiny "en suite" bathroom in my former
apartment. She did this when I was brushing my teeth. She obviously
wanted to drink running water from the faucet. This prompted me to buy
her a Drinkwell fountain so I wouldn't accidentally spit toothpaste on
her head.

Those fountains are (or at least used to be) a PITA to clean. After
many years of constantly cleaning it and replacing filters I finally
said enough is enough! Persia adapted easily enough to drinking from a
nice deep bowl whew!. Of course the water had to be very cold and
very fresh.

Jill