Old January 19th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default The Water Incident - And More

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:34:21 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Minnie wounds extremely bright!

Yup, a splash of blood red does tend to brighten up gray surroundings. LOL!

Seriously, though, some of the things she's done over the last month or so have
really amazed me. When I first got her there was even some reason to suspect she
was dumber than a stump, but after living here for 12 weeks or so she's gotten
over most of the skittishness caused by not having been socialized properly
during her early kittenhood. She now has a human she trusts, her confidence has
gone way up, and it's resulted in quite the change in her.

If that sounds like I'm proud of her, it's because I am.

Persia (RB) used to jump from the
toilet to the vanity/sink in the tiny "en suite" bathroom in my former
apartment. She did this when I was brushing my teeth. She obviously
wanted to drink running water from the faucet. This prompted me to buy
her a Drinkwell fountain so I wouldn't accidentally spit toothpaste on
her head.

I'm sitting here LOL while thinking back to the time I made my quick and dirty
tuna casserole and she got some right on top of her head because she tried to
show me she wanted some by rubbing her head on the bottom of the big kitchen
spoon I'd just used to stir ingredients into it. I don't see toothpaste looking
any less out of place and somewhat comical on top of a cat's head, perfectly
centered between her ears, than the tuna casserole did,

Those fountains are (or at least used to be) a PITA to clean. After
many years of constantly cleaning it and replacing filters I finally
said enough is enough! Persia adapted easily enough to drinking from a
nice deep bowl whew!. Of course the water had to be very cold and
very fresh.

Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY