Old July 31st 03, 06:26 AM
Joan

Your mssg was very real & kind. It's worth a whole lot more that 2 cents!

Fla Joan

"Roadside Artist" wrote in message ...
You know, none of us want to face the inevitable outcome of life, and
everyone on here (presumably) is a cat lover. So I guess I understand the
hostile responses.

But when it all comes down to the "bottom line", having had a good, happy
and contented life is *all* you can ask for, you know? A cat who has had
such a life already has had the best thing people can give her.

Things have changed for people and their pets, I know. But not all change is
good change. People used to die at home surrounded by family, now we do
heroic things to save them and they die frightened and alone or surrounded
by strangers who, while doing their professional duty, are personally
indifferent to their existence. Is this *really* an improvement?

Trips to the vet are frightening and very upsetting for many cats and for
one who is 17 it seems an unnecessary cruelty if the animal is not in a lot
of pain.

If it were me, I might see if I could get a paraprofessional to make a home
visit and/or look up stuff on the web to see if there would be something I
could do to make her more comfortable, but at that age it would seem a shame
to spend the last moments of a full life, frightened and traumatized in the
hands of a stranger.

But that's just my two cents worth.

-------

www.roadsideartist.com