Old June 18th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Guess I Don't Count Around Here

"Jofirey" wrote in message
OK I know Jake is Charlie's cat. And I know that Jake knows I can't hear
a great deal of the time. (I really doubt the cats know when I'm wearing
my hearing processor)

I've been home all afternoon. I've been the only human/slave home, and
I've been very available as I don't feel well and was resting in the
bedroom with my knee up on a pillow.

I did hear a great deal of bird racket outside but didn't go check on it.
I also quit trying to answer the phone. I can't understand half of what I
hear on it, and usually can't do much about the other half. Got tired of
going to look for the phone with a decent speaker since all the calls were
junk or grandsons with problems I don't feel like dealing with today. No
spare money at the moment and don't feel like giving anybody a ride
anywhere.

Charlie was out shopping. He is a big believer in the pre-father's day
men's wear sales.

When he came home a bit ago, he was showing me what he bought and Jake
came in complaining to his daddy at the top of his meezer lungs. I don't
know what his story was but he started it half way down the hall on his
way to the bedroom, and talked to Charlie for another solid five minutes
when he got there.

I suspect some of the subjects were the miserable birds, the squirrels,
the state freshness of food and water supplies and the dog. Oh and how
little help I am for a poor beleaguered cat who's daddy was missing for
hours and hours.

The rest was probably gossip not considered fit for 'the ladies'. I know
there was swearing involved.

I don't how I would feel if there was someone else living here and Boyfie
preferred them to me. I suspect I'd feel like you do.
Fortunately he has no choice - it's meowmie or no-one ;-)
He makes it clear that he adores me and any visitor signals a rush to the
great outside in case of whatever might happen (except Simon) who is the
only person in the world who has witnessed him kneading me, and that took 5
years.
If he had a choice of familiar adults living in the house and he didn't
choose me I would be a bit offended I have to admit, although I shouldn't be
as cats choose their own hoomins, don't they.
I only had one dog that didn't prefer me when my husband was alive (and at
the time I had 11) - that was the lurcher, Trim. She like her daddy best
because he took her out hunting which is what lurchers like to do. When he
died she wasted no time grieving, merely transferred her allegiance to me
within 24 hours.
All the whippets liked me best. They are gentle dogs and my husband was a
big drinker hence his early demise. He could get quite aggressive in drink
and it used to frighten them. They could not make sense of it. In the
morning he was nice to them and in the evening he was scary and kept telling
them off for nothing. Me too.
Although it's an awful thing to say our lives were so much more peaceful
when he'd gone.
We could all relax.
Do you know dogs can suffer depression when there is marital disharmony?
Apparently so. I'm not sure about cats, although if they were totally
indoor and witnessed it regularly I don't see why not.

Tweed