Old August 16th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Post Office Cat

Jack Campin wrote:

Not officially. I went to the Post Office to buy some stamps. Yeah, I
know some people who don't have computers so I still do "snail mail"
from time to time. There was a cute little grey tabby looking for
all the world like it was guarding the front door.

I said hello to the cat and stooped down to pet it. It scooted under a
bush. Ah, a feral. As soon as I went inside the cat resumed it's place
in front of the door again. There were lots of people going in and out.
The cat would move aside then sit back down in front of the door.

I didn't see any signs of it but someone must be feeding the cat.
Either that or there are a lot of mice or marsh rats around the Post
Office. I can't think of any other reason for her to just sit there by
the front door like that. She was cute.

We used to live near a chippie/Italian takeaway in the centre of
Edinburgh. They had a big ginger cat sitting by the door most
of the day. Over the years he got steadily fatter like a furry
version of "Supersize Me" and ended up like a ginger space hopper.
I presume people used to give him bits of fried fish whenever he
turned on the charm (which he did all the time). Not a good
advert for the product.

I remember a cat who lived at an inn I used to go to several times a year.
He was an enormous black cat, very friendly, and managed to convince
people who were having their breakfast out on the deck to give him
something from their dish.

One year I went to this place for Thanksgiving. The propriators cooked
this huge dinner buffet, and everyone sat in the living room having dinner.
And the big black cat would go from group to group, doing his "I'm so
hungry, they never feed me here" impression for each one. He really scored
that day.

I think he weighed about 29 pounds, and he was not a Maine Coon or any
other large breed. He was also about 19 years old. Amazingly, he was pretty
active - well, about as active as any member of a species that sleeps
16 hours per day - and could still jump up on the furniture. Which just
goes to show that a cat's mandate to be naughty will overcome any potential
physical obstacle.

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".
-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"