Old September 25th 03, 04:26 AM
MBREC

Before lots of people started
feeding their cat commercial cat food, (crunchy type or canned food)
what were they feeding their cat?

My childhood cat, in the late 1930s and the '40s, was a city boy (neutered) &
spent more time indoors than out, but he still managed to catch mice.
Kitty-Boy didn't eat them, though. He brought them in, sometimes still
kicking, and presented them to my father. Once he hid a dead one, probably
captured in the basement, under a corner of the Oriental rug in the living
room. I presume he meant to give it to my father when he got home from work.
But Kitty-Boy forgot about the mouse until the stench compelled us humans to
organize a search party!

We fed Kitty-Boy Rival dog food (canned) and table scraps. Commercial cat food
didn't exist back then.

Once a week I was sent to the butcher shop for his special treat -- lamb's
kidneys. We minced the kidneys, and the cat wolfed them down raw. We also gave
him milk or cream frequently. I don't remember that it gave him any problems
with diarrhea.

Kitty-Boy lived for 11 years, in good health until he developed urinary
blockage. There was no treatment back then, so he was euthanized. Thank God
for today's small-animal veterinary care and improved diets.

Margie aka Great Granny

to send e-mail, erase "goaway"