Old November 24th 03, 02:11 AM
Kalyahna

"HereKitty" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching

post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new
carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her
all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

You can try Soft Paws, which are just plastic tips that glue onto the nail
to form, basically, a very dull nail that won't really catch on anything.
You can try one of those cheapie cardboard floor scratchers (especially if
your kitty likes catnip) and place it over the carpeting where she seems to
enjoy scratching most. For your couch, you can try double-sided tape in the
spots she scratches. Cats tend to hate the sticky sensation, and she should
stop quickly.

You can also ask your vet to recommend a behaviorist in your area (very few
vets are trained in behavior themselves), or speak to someone at your local
humane society who has cat experience.