Old June 13th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ring tone that's silent to adults?

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:36:18 GMT, Mishi wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:20:38 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 12 Jun 2006 09:57:12p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I don't get it. Are kids like dogs? LOL It's all over the news
that there is a frequency that kids can hear and most adults
cannot. It was said that when it was discovered, the tone was
used in a store somewhere in Europe that had a teen population
that the proprietors didn't want loitering, so they played this
tone that adults couldn't hear, but it annoyed the hell out of
kids. Weird.

http://news.com.com/A+ring+tone+mean...af+ears/2100-1
1395_3-6082685.html

An experiment - my cats seem to be able to hear this. I can't.
Bonnie in particular looked very annoyed with me when I kept
replaying it. I had the laptop volume turned all the way up.

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

--
Cheryl

I tried it and couldn't hear anything. I'll try it again later
when Holly and Duffy are in the room to see if they react.

I had heard of this experiment awhile ago but hadn't seen links to
the audio (which really *isn't* audio to me).

MaryL

I hear it, but you have to turn the volume up all the way. G Sort
of
like a mosquito buzzing. Hummmmm....

I could just barely hear it, but Cinders came into the room, meowing
loudly. This would suggest that she heard it better than I did.

I tried it at normal volume by myself, heard nothing. Turned up my volume
to 3x my normal volume, and heard an almost ultrasonic squeal. All 12 cats
were having an almost-midnight snack behind me, so I turned to look. Weeble
was the only one affected, and he was looking around as if to say "wha wuz
dat, Mommy?". I played it again, and he looked around more, then left the
room. About that same time I noticed Betty's tail do the "I'm annoyed"
twitch, but she didn't stop munching.