Old June 13th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ring tone that's silent to adults?

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 12 Jun 2006 09:57:12p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I don't get it. Are kids like dogs? LOL It's all over the news
that there is a frequency that kids can hear and most adults
cannot. It was said that when it was discovered, the tone was
used in a store somewhere in Europe that had a teen population
that the proprietors didn't want loitering, so they played this
tone that adults couldn't hear, but it annoyed the hell out of
kids. Weird.

http://news.com.com/A+ring+tone+mean...af+ears/2100-1
1395_3-6082685.html

An experiment - my cats seem to be able to hear this. I can't.
Bonnie in particular looked very annoyed with me when I kept
replaying it. I had the laptop volume turned all the way up.

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

--
Cheryl

I just played the audio link again, this type with Holly perched on the seat
desk right beside the computer monitor (a place she often rests on when I'm
typing -- if she's not marching back and forth in front of the monitor).
Once again, I couldn't hear anything; but Holly immediately became alert and
stared intently at the screen. She even acted slightly alarmed.

MaryL