Old December 19th 04, 05:46 AM
Gail Futoran

Default cat coughs while purring

Did the google search, found zip, so:
My 7 month old, spayed (month ago), FeLV+ otherwise
in apparent good health (all vaccinations up to date
except FeLV) female Burmese has a strong tendency
to cough during heavy petting sessions. (That
sounds weird but you know what I mean...)

She doesn't always do it, only about 90% of the time,
usually when I'm scratching her head (favorite spot).
It's frustrating for her (and me), and when I stop petting
her she'll cough a bit more then stop until she purrs
heavily again.

The cough sounds chest-deep, like a hacking cough.
She might have a touch of URI (weepy eyes) for which
she's been treated in recent past but not presently. The
coughing-while-purring event has been going on for
at least a month, maybe more - I can't recall when I
first noticed it, just that it's not recent.

Appetite fine, activity level very high (leaps tall walls
at a single bound...), no other symptoms. She is a
small cat, weighing a bit more than 5 lbs, but her
mom was petite, too.

Any thoughts?

Gail