Old October 10th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Default My cat has "bald-belly syndrome"

An Internet research reveals that bald-belly syndrome is basically the
feline equivalent of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I read that Valium and
Prozac are sometimes use to treat it.

I've been under a lot of stress in recent months-- personal and family
tragedy, illness, and loss, etc. And stress is contagious. Poor Ted caught
it from me. I feel guilty, I guess.

This particular cat and I are very close. F'rinstance, he sleeps on the
pillow by my head at night. His "baseline" personality is that he is very
vocal, skittish, and goofy -- and he only lets me and sometimes my SO touch
him. Now, with a snootful Valium, he's more whiney, less skittish, clumsy,
and totally glued to me -- on my lap or underfoot at all times, crying when
not.

I would be glad to hear from anybody who has been through this with a cat.
It's just breaking my heart.

My DH and I have a DSH named Benny, who sounds similar in personality
to your Ted. After he and the other cat, Tucker, got into a tiff (after
a stressful vet visit), Benny started pulling out his fur on his right
side. I took him into the vet, who could also find nothing medically
wrong.

We were not thrilled about medicating Benny, so I looked into more
natural options. After experimentation, I found a combination of using
a Feliway diffuser, Rescue Remedy in their water, and Calms Forte
(homeopathic remedy), along with lots of praise and attention, helped.
He slowly regained his confidence, and now I only use Rescue Remedy in
the water.

He still has a few "thin" patches of fur along his back, but overall he
seems happy and healthy, so we don't worry about it.

Rene