Old August 23rd 03, 07:15 AM
JHBennett

It is a topic usually brought up by someone who was once hall monitor, in
the third grade, and loves to trip out on power. You'll get references to
*rules* for this, or that and told about etiquite or such. Only, their
ain't no rules, as such. It is also the custom and practice in business to
place the most recent reply at the top, or on top, of more dated material.
Such is the organization of correspondence and case files. This practice
allows one to keep abreast of most recent developments, if they are familiar
with the subject matter, or delve more deeply into the file for the
historical record. As it happens, the program for most computers
automatically keys into this accepted business practice, for replying to
electronic correspondence.
In actual practice, I believe you, like most people, will develop a feel
for which method, or manner of reply, is best suited to the situation.
Generally, I find that for short replies, with a singular theme, top posting
is far more convenient and much quicker. However, sometimes you will find
you are replying to a lengthy post, touching on several points or issues you
wish to address. In the case of the latter, the better way to go about it
is to insert your comment or observation immediately following the specific
comment.
The bottom line is, we're all trying to communicate with clarity and
efficiency. Anything that furthers that objective is permissable, so do
what works for you.
In this particular instance, I have intentionally top posted to annoy
anyone deadset against the practice.... so there!
Jack

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
What does top posting mean?????

--