Old October 20th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

Default Superflous de-worming?

"Stefan P." wrote in message
Hi, I was just wondering if de-worming a cat that doesn't actually
demonstrate any obvious signs of infection can have any averse effects
on it's health?

Is it also possible that any future worms might have developed a
resistance toward the medication if I regularly medicate?

My vet has done it for the cats I have taken in from the wild. That is the
only time she offers it unless there is a sign of an infection. Droncit is
safe and powerful and I have not heard of resistance issues. If a cat has
fleas, tapeworms are almost a certainty at some point. Tapeworms complete
their life cycle through fleas. You should not have to regularly medicate.
On average I have treated my cats maybe once every 2 years when I see
segments clinging to their backsides.

Paul