Old June 11th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Only Cats (WAS: It's a Buffy-versary!)

On 6/9/2017 11:07 PM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:55:43 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/9/2017 4:35 PM, Bill Nak wrote:
HAPPY ADOPTION DAY BUFFY!!!!!!

Thanks, Bill

Jill

It's so nice when they express their real personalities. It is
interesting to watch what happens when other cats are or aren't
around. After Espy died, both Scooter and Nipsy were more or less the
same, but Marlo suddenly became much more outgoing.

So happy adoption day Buffy!

Thank you.

The woman who was caring for the cats told me Frankie (after he went to
being an only cat) calmed down quite a bit. I remember the day I went
over to meet Buffy. He'd he'd knocked over a bunch of potted plants and
made a big mess. He was quite vocal, too. Once he no longer felt he
had to compete for attention, he turned into a cool cat.

I know some people don't believe in only cats. The common thought is
"they need a playmate". My take: just because they're cats doesn't mean
they want another cat around. Just like I really don't want to hang out
with a bunch of people.

When I'm not home there's no evidence Buffy (nor Persia before her) does
much of anything but sleep, eat, drink some water, use the litter box
and sleep some more.

I know for a fact Buffy gets upset if she sees a cat wandering around
outside. The sound she makes is very much like a fire engine siren.
Yrrrowwwwwwwwwooooo! She arches her back and puffs up like the
proverbial Halloween cat. It's a pretty scary display. You don't dare
touch or try to comfort her if she sees a cat outside. She'll rip your
arm to pieces.

Persia was the same way. Persia once crashed through a screen door
trying to chase an interloper off the apartment patio. I had to install
a baby gate between the screen and the sliding glass door so I could
open the door in nice weather.

Buffy's personality went from "timid" to "hey, this is my house" really
fast. She feels safe. She *is* safe.

I'm merely guessing but I'm sure she had to compete for food living with
Frankie. I gather there was a third cat at one time, too. So yes,
Buffy quickly adapted to being an "only cat". She's sometimes vocal,
very playful. But she also sleeps a lot. Doesn't want another cat around.

Jill