Old August 29th 04, 11:45 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

In rec.pets.cats.rescue Priscilla Ballou wrote:

I've now had 24 hours to bond with the kitten and see it progress in its
trust and comfort level, and a little while ago the girl who wanted the
kitten came knocking on my door asking for the kitten back to give to
her aunt. I told her: 1) my friend Melissa and I were now in charge of
the cat and I had to talk to her, since she was probably also wanting to
take it and 2) it was too young to go anywhere yet. No way am I giving
that kitten to relatives of those idiots. They let their dog run loose
on our (admittedly quiet) street, and they let their daughter's first
cat go outside.
I'm not letting that kitten go to anyone until 1) it's had its vet
checkup and had its parasite problems and eye discharge resolved and 2)
it's at least 8 - 12 weeks old and figured out what its litter box is
for and that the dish of food in its cage can be eaten any time and it
doesn't have to be deliberately fed by a caregiver.
They have to understand that they handed over responsbility, and I've
taken that responsibility!

The girl now came back, backed up by her older sister. She says her
brother says he found the cat, so it's his, and he wants it back. I stuck
to my guns, saying that when they gave the cat to me they gave me
responsibility for it.

This is very hard, and I may end up in a bad relationship with a neighbor
over it. But this sweet kitten is going to my friend who's already in
love with it, or to her friend, not to these people who don't know how to
treat animals.

******

Priscilla