Old January 5th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Diabetic cat, bladder infection

"Windsorcat" u17321@uwe wrote in message news:59e85ff2f4de4@uwe...
I have a cat whom I love dearly. He is a 13 year old large tabby. He was
diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and a bladder infection. He has been
peeing all over the house. The vet suggests daily insulin shots and a

course
of antibiotics for the infection. My question is this-at 13 years old,
failing health is it really worth it to keep him alive for another year or
two? Does anyone have any experience with a senior diabetic cat?

I think a 13 year old cat has years to go with proper care.
The UTI is easy to clear up, and you will become accustomed to doing the
daily injections. It is new and scary at first but there are mailing lists
and help/support sites available to you to help get you started.

I would not consider his health to be "failing" at this point. He has a
couple of medical issues- one easy to clear up and the other easy to manage.

Could be me- but they give so much in their younger easier years that I
don't mind going the extra distance when they enter the more difficult times
later on.

Of course if he is a burden to you and you are looking for an excuse, then
let your conscience be your guide.

--
Toni