Old June 16th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Maybe things are looking up

"Yowie" wrote in message
wrote in message
They're worse on the DH front, but at least it looks like I've
recovered one of my "lost" friendships.

He came over last night and we talked for four or five hours, even
stuff from years ago (we've known each other half my life). Worked
through a lot, got very honest about a lot, and it looks like we are
very solidly dear friends once again. He is going to help me through
some of this divorce stuff, too, whatever he can, whenever he can. I
am so grateful. Friends make all the difference, and to almost have
lost one had me so depressed I just about gave up on life.

And so today I follow in Yowie's footsteps, and begin to take
antidepressants. I hope they will help me through this time, give me
more energy, and help my outlook. I really, really hate going this
route, but when your pulmonologist's intern thinks you should be on
antidepressants, I guess it's way past time to give it a try.

There is *nothing* wrong with taking anti-depessants. The best side effect
for me was being able to sleep. I am a light sleeper at the best of times,
and when I'm worrie dor upset, my mind will go over and over whatever it
is that sbugging me and I don't sleep. The anti-depressants gave me my
slep back, and that in itself made thigns alot better.

What they did for me is simply stop that "overwhelmed and helpless"
feeling - allowed m to keep functioning without going seriously nuts (and
I needed to keep functioning for Cary's sake if nothing else).

I'm no longer taking them now, because life has settled down, and I'm
getting more sleep. But I have *no idea* what I would have done for those
6 months when I was takign them. I'd call them lifesavers in more ways
than one.

You're going through so much turmoil right now, I'd be surprised if
*anyone* could cope wihout anti-depressants. They don't turn you into a
zombie, rather, they just take the edge off the stress and worry so you
can through the rough patch. You may not need them forever, but my
goodness do they help when you do.

Don't feel ashamed, that would be like being ashamed of a your cast on a
broken leg or -as someone else put it - taking insulin for diabetes. The
certainly can't rectify the problems hat Real LIfe has thrown at you, but
what hey can give you is the emotional stability to deal with those
problems appropriately rahter than them becoming all-consuming.

Just to try to put "anti-psychotic" medications in perspective. I take
Paxil. I've taken some sort of anti-depressant off and on for decades. At
first I took them to deal with a few deep depressions. And always quit when
the gloom lifted.

Then I learned that I didn't get migraines when I took them. I consider
prevention of migraine a major advantage. Hardly consider wanting to avoid
migraine an issue of sanity.

A couple of years later, the medical community caught up and decreed that
they sometimes work to thwart migraines.

As time went on, I developed Rheumatic Arthritis. After a few years, I was
unable to tolerate anti-inflammatory medication. And I've never been able
to tolerate narcotic pain killers. They make me hyper and keep me awake for
days on end. But anti-depressants have also been shown to provide pain
management.

Back again to my good friend Paxil at a somewhat higher dose. In addition
to relieving depression, it keeps me from getting migraines and also serves
as a pain management device.

Trust me, what it is doing is physical, not "just" psychological.

Jo