Old June 16th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Maybe things are looking up

Dan M wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:17:40 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

I really don't know why people resist taking anti-depressants when
they need them. It should be viewed the same as a diebetic taking
insulin - there's something your body needs to function properly and
you shouldn't hesitate to take it. There is (or should be) no
stigma in needing to adjust the chemistry of your body when it is
out of whack.

I'll second that! Taking anti-depressants isn't a sign of weakness.
It's just another medication to fix chemical imbalances. And I know
that when I went off antidepressants for a year or so I REALLY felt
it. When your brain isn't getting the right balance of norepinephrine
or serotonin or whatever other chemicals are involved, you can sure
feel it.

I am so frustrated. My mom is in Germany right now, visiting her
sisters for a month. Her older sister, Inge, seems to be suffering from
depression quite badly. My mom first told me about this about 6 months
ago, when she found out from talking to Inge on the phone. At that
point I wrote to my mom and told her to tell Inge to get to a doctor and
get on anti-depressants. My mom wrote back a huffy email saying that
that is certainly not necessary and all Inge needs is to get out there
and get more exercise (my mom's answer to everything).
I wrote a few more emails but they all got ignored and so I stopped.
Now I got an email a few days ago from my mom saying that she was only
able to stay with Inge for a few days and then had to move onto her
other sister's place, because staying with Inge was so stressful because
of how depressed she is. I wrote another, very long and detailed email
all about depression and what it really is and how medication would help
and it wouldn't necessarily be for life, etc.
I told my mom that it's been going on long enough and if Inge doesn't
commit suicide soon, then even if she continues to live, her life won't
feel much worth living. Get her to a doctor!
My email got completely ignored :-( I don't know if this is just their
stubborn German-ness or what but I'm getting really mad about this.
It's not like I can even just contact Inge myself, I have no details on
her phone, email or address and I'm sure my mom won't give it to me
because she knows what I would talk to her about and she wouldn't want
to get in trouble for telling me Inges personal problems. Grrrr!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness