Old November 18th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Bucky's Lament

Mark Edwards wrote:

Since the apartment soaking, Bucky has stayed as close to me as he can
When I am out of sight, he cries loudly (Senyah says annoyingly). At times,
he let's out what I call a "siren meow" - very plaintive and very like a
siren.

I can just imagine this - it's a bit like what Licky does. I think that
easily frightened cats get more needy than more confident cats, because
the confident ones can come up to you whenever they like, but the nervous
ones are often too anxious. It must get very lonely for them, hiding out,
or only trusting one person, who therefore must be accessible at all times.

I call out to him and tell him "I'm in here, sweetie!" at which time he
comes running, emitting little meows to me the whole way. If I'm lying back
reading, he comes and lays down next to me.

That's adorable. (Smudge does this outside - well, minus the lying down
part. )

Every now and then, he opens an eye and reaches out a paw to make
sure I'm still there.

I think he has a bit of an "object permanence" deficit. Meaning that
when you are out of view, he's not sure you exist anymore. Babies (ie,
human) are like this - they haven't yet learned that "out of sight"
doesn't mean "no longer existing". I forget at what age children learn
that things go on even when they can't see them. Perhaps Bucky has had
too many abandonments or other scary experiences, and doesn't trust
anything he can't see and feel and curl up with? You're such a good
cat daddy.`

Joyce