Old March 13th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Break up cat fights

Of course the other reply was a mistake.

I have a new stray, a large female that treats the other cats as toys.
Using a tale extender is another method for coping with a bully. Instead
of putting a bell on their collar, you can put it on their tail where
it's more effective. The newcomer thinks everything that moves is a toy,
it is twice the size of my calico, and it is causing the calico
noticeable anxiety. It is unrelenting. The first round of using a tale
extender went reasonably well. The newcomer is a great cat, but it must
be shepherded to take into account the fact that the calico cannot run
away.

Also useful is to make sure they are separated when your way. Since I've
noticed the anxiety, I have become more assertive in stepping in to stop
the newcomer when the calico has obviously been pushed to its limit.

Super Man wrote:

What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them
and yell at them to stop growling

It ain't easy. But you should clip the aggressor's claws. Cats depend
on their claws, it's their livelihood, it's their life. That's why so
many expressions associate claws with cats. Clipping the aggressor's
claws is a great way to help minimize any damage. It might not stop
the trauma, but it will stop the injury. It might even eventually be
understood that the aggressor has dull claws (I doubt it but it's
possible).