Old December 3rd 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat pees when you pick her up

PawsForThought wrote:
Rhonda wrote:I'm glad you're taking such good care of her, and looking
for the
answers. You might want to get a second vet opinion (and mention those
other symptoms) to make sure there's not another way to help her, or
that something is being missed.

I have to agree with Rhonda. I would definitely want to have her
checked by another vet. Sometimes what one vet misses, another may
find, and I have also found some vets are better at treating cats than
others. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lauren

Very true what you post I found. The vet does not sound good. What did
the urinanalysis say? Did you see the very long thread on problems with
crystals or stones and food? Too often the vets give antibiotics but
that may be irrelevant unless there is a bacterial infection present.
If the cat is acting contrary, she may be ill. Has she been also
checked for parasites? Has she been tested for things like
cryptosporidium or giardia? I ask because around here the vets don't
check. They assume there are not any parasites. WRONG. So I suggested
to someone whose cat was also scratching away fur and just miserable
that she had parasites. She went to the very big vet hospital, and sure
enough the cat had parasites. And they did not charge her any more than
the previous vets who completely missed the diagnosis. Now the cat is
more social, not being by herself in one room and ignoring the other
cats, and the cat is happy. That was her third vet she had to see. The
first two just blew it off like, change her food. It takes thought and
energy to try to sort out these problems. I'm not sure about the tests
for these protozoan parasites. I don't know if it's a blood test. I
don't think it's a fecal sample test. Anyone know?

Where did the parasites come from? They can come from the municipal
water supply. Apparently it's quite common but not a problem for people
with healthy immune systems. Many water filters will take care of these
parasites if they have small pores, like 0.5 to 1 micron. Usually a
fine mesh covering around the charcoal filter will take care of these
protozoan parasites.