Old April 5th 17, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default And once again

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:40:44 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

Buffy hid from me for a while before she realized it was safe. Then
again, she was being bullied by another cat in her former household.

I had Minnie for six weeks before she stopped freezing in terror if I happened
to walk past her while she was eating. She was skittish about it because early
in her kittenhood she'd been around young children who considered animals that
are stationary for any reason to be fair game. It took her six weeks to figure
out that I have a policy of leaving animals alone when they're eating. Now at
most she glances offhandedly at my feet as I walk by.

She still hides sometimes - but usually not far away. I've learned that 90% of
the time she goes where she can see me, but I can't see her unless I get on the
floor and start looking under and behind tables and chairs until the greenish
glow of her eyes shining at me from the relative darkness reveals her location.

Many times I've gone walking through the whole downstairs looking for her
without success, and upon giving up, I turn around to go back out to the kitchen
and almost trip on her...she'll be directly behind me - probably having followed
me around the entire time I was looking for her. Cats are TOO quiet sometimes!

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY