Old May 17th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default What to do with the ashes?

"-L." wrote in message
Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
with their ashes...?

Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
she'd like some flowers to chew on. DH suggested sprinkling them
at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
- if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
putting the cats in a place they have never been.

I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
moved.

What to do, what to do....

I have always buried my cats' bodies, but I may do cremation in the future.
When I buried my cats, I planted a tree at the head of the spot where they
were buried. That served as a living memorial to them and also meant that I
could always remember the exact location. Of course, as you said, that
meant that I could not take them with me. I very much like your idea of
creating a base for a cat statue by mixing the ashes, and I have a friend
who selects a hollow cat figurine -- one that looks as much like the cat as
possible -- and keeps the ashes there. My sister-in-law ordered a memorial
stone with her cat's name and an inscription. She is going to place the
stone in her garden and bury the ashes there. Here are some examples of the
type of stone she used. (She used a flat stone, not the upright type that
look like tombstones.) I don't know where she got hers, but she was able to
have her cat's name and her own selection for an inscription engraved.
http://www.memorial-urns.com/pet_memorial_stones.html

MaryL