Old September 16th 04, 07:46 PM
Mary

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

One thing to consider is that morphine is a controlled substance. You won't be
able to get it yourself. You will probably have to ask your vet to get it and
come to the house to administer it legally. I've been told that morphine
overdose is a good way to go if administered properly. They get very high and
feel great, then get unconscious then their organs stop. You just don't want
the organs to stop while they're conscious. That might be scary and painful.
Generally the vet gives valium to calm the animal, sets up an IV then gives
pheno to stop all organs. It's almost instant. I think they should give enough
valium to get the cat unconscious first, then the pheno.