Old August 7th 03, 06:52 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "DeAnna"
wrote, in cinemascope:

| I could never figure the point behind [reams and reams of quotage],

There isn't any.

| except some people are doing it because it is what they have always
| done?

Exactly right, they never learned any better.

| Quoting often makes no sense to me, because what is quoted is often
| snipped beyond recognition,

Where? Weren't you just now pointing out the annoyance of having to
scroll through scads of quoted material?

| and if you don't have all the thread downloaded, you have to keep
| going back for more headers until you do.

That's a failing of your "choice" of software. (Actually, Micro$oft
would turn around and accuse you of not "configuring it properly"). Go
to Tools - Options - Read, and uncheck the box that says "Get ____
headers at a time".

| And I don't have problems with excessive spool file size to contain
| the newsgroups, even though I don't expire the posts, and there are
| posts dating back over a year.

Bandwidth is an issue for servers, not your hard disk.

| Since I have to read ALL posts, in order to admin,

Admin? Usenet newsgroups are not administered. Some may be moderated,
but newsadmins (those who run servers) generally don't monitor specific
newsgroups in any official capacity.

| it is MUCH simpler if I open the post and INSTANTLY see what that
| person said, saving me scrolling and sorting, instead of trying to
| figure out if a violation of our Code of Conduct was directly from
| that poster, or was a snip cut and paste quote from a post before. If
| you are that worried about post sizes, snip it all. But then again,
| if the posts get mis-grouped somehow, it makes it hard to figure out
| where they fit in. And my groups users range from OE newreader users
| to Forte Agent, XNews, and Gravity users.

Code of Conduct? "Misgrouped somehow"? "My groups"? Seriously, what
*are* you talking about?