Old February 18th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Diaphragmatic Hernia

I appreciate Phil's posts they are always well written and he is
obviously well educated.

I am struggling with the decision financially and emotionally. Really
there is more to it...

The cat's name is Sugar. I suspect the hernia is traumatic -because
Sugar does go outside. I need to explain also that Sugar has a very
difficult disposition - which is why she lives with me - as I rescue
cats - I try to find the cats new homes through a rescue organization
that I volunteer with...Sugar is one of those cats that falls into the
"unadoptable" scenario because she is difficult - very independent and
needs her space, a cat who hates to be confined. I have ferals that
have been relocated indoors that do better than Sugar - she truly hates
being confined - it is a though she feels trapped. She is with me
because few would probably put up with her....

The surgeon's estimate is starting at 2000, I am no stranger to Vet
Bills - but this one is a whopper, I work a second job already to
insure the cats that I have get good food and good medical care....I do
so much pro-active Vet care that this stunned me, one tries to do
everything right - to be proactive - expecting cats to be ok until old
age if you take the necessary steps.

I am also struggling with some "quality of life" issues. Sugar is that
particular kind cat that is extremely irritable when confined....the
more confined - the more irritable she becomes, it escalates with time.

I have 14 cats total (all rescued) and of that 14, 12 are kept indoors
because I know the risks of a cat going outdoors. I do not think that
I know more that other people, but I have first hand experience with
seeing the dangers and risks or cats doing outside....with my rescue
work and have worked in a Veterinary office. I cannot claim ignorance
in the dangers of letting a cat outdoors, and feel this injury is
partly my fault - I know better, I know cats should never be outside.
But this cat Sugar - is so tremendously miserable indoors, I made a
calculated risk of letting her go outside - and now this. My Vet
thinks she was hit by a car, she looked at the Xrays and made this
diagnosis.

I am also weighing the idea of a prolonged hospitilization and then a
long recovery. Sugar would be miserable in a cage. When I moved
across the country and had to confine her in my car daily during travel
(several days) - she bloodied her face against the metal wires of her
carrier, basically trying to get out of her carrier. On the trip I
gave her sedatives (sometimes a double dose of ACE) and she was still
frantic in a confined space (she is not feral) she very free-spirited I
guess you would say. Eventually on this long cross-country trip - I
had to put her in a soft carrier (to prevent further injury) and she
would roll around in it, it usually took 2 Acepromines to bring her
down enough to travel calmly. On my long trip - she was the most
difficult cat in my entire group - she was the most distressed.

I am trying to weigh the financial issue, her personality.....and all
of it? I guess I will see the surgeon next week so that he can look at
the Xrays and perhaps give me a better outlook on what the extent of
the hernia really is and perhaps - her prognosis. I guess I will ask
how long the cat will be in the hospital and then more about the
recovery and look into the payment plan option.

THis was so unexpected and the whole thing is so daunting. I
appreciate the comments.