Old January 28th 05, 08:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-24, badwilson penned:

Me, I think I was 130 when I was 12 ... and that was probably the
last time =) 140 would be a good, muscular weight for me, but I seem
to have trouble getting there. (TMI warning) I just switched from
Depo to the pill, though, and my doctor thinks I'll lose 5-10 pounds
just from that.

Well, I was 160 a couple of years ago. At that point I had no hope at
all of fitting into anything here. But I got into fitness and lost 35
lbs over the course of 6 months. I've put on some muscle since then
from weight lifting. I've never been on Depo but have heard that a
weight gain of 20-40 lbs isn't unheard of. I think you're smart to
get off it. Here in Thailand I can pick up pills at the grocery
store. I pretty much tried a bunch of different ones until I found
one that I was happy with. The one I was on in Canada made me feel
PMS'y.

Oof, 20-40 pounds.

Actually, after being on depo for a few years, I did drop it for about six
months. This was at a time when I was suffering from depression, and so I'm a
bit fuzzy on the timelines, but I *think* that was when I lost so much weight
that one of my co-workers confronted me and asked if I was anorexic. But I
also don't eat much when I am depressed ... I also didn't get my period the
whole time I was off of depo, but I have no idea if that was from the residual
hormones in my system or because I was depressed and not eating. So, on the
whole, completely inconclusive, especially as I can't remember whether the
weight loss coincided with discontinuing depo. *sigh*

Anyway, I would certainly be happy to find out (if it's indeed the case)
that my fat isn't all "my fault." I did lose some fat last year when I
was on a tremendous workout schedule, but as my mom has said to me
frequently, "I don't see how you can be exercising this much and still
not lose weight." At the time, I was also making a point of a low-fat
diet (35-40 grams a day) with lots of veggies and good for me foods. I
am *not* an inactive person. Pictures of me from high school (during my
Pill days, pre-depo) show an amazingly slender/gaunt face (I was
training for my black belt). Granted, martial arts are intensive, but
so are mountain biking, skiing, ice hockey ... all these things that I
do.

My husband has this theory that the reason he doesn't get fat easily and I do
is because he was a competetive swimmer in high school, whereas I "only" did
martial arts. Granted, I don't think I put in the hours he did at the time,
but I am *much* more active than him now. His little theory is infuriating,
and not in the least bit helpful =/

Of course, he also has a theory that men are more likely to be muscular than
women because *cough* as kids, they are more likely to throw a football and
mow the lawns. Right.

I do love him dearly ...

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch