Old December 18th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl

Default seeking cat claw care advice

Nontraditional scratching posts

I had a cat that used to shun every scratching post I tried. Nothing worked
until one day he bolted out the front door (indoor cat) and immediately
started to shred the tires on my car. And thats the story why I have an old
tire in the living room

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Pamela Oglesby wrote:
My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam

Hi Pam,

Cybercat has already given you some great tips on trimming claws. Don't
feel you have to trim all his claws at once; start by doing one or two
and go from there.

Also, have you tried a "non traditional" scratching post? I've known
people who have used simple things like a large log or an upside down
wicker laundry basket, and their cats loved them!

Rene