Old May 31st 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Downside of Fewer Depo Medrol Shots?

"Cheryl" wrote
I have noticed he has stinky runny poop now, but until
you posted that I forgot about Shadow and his IBD, and IBD is also
an auto-immune disease. That is treated with steroids, too, if
altering the diet doesn't help. So you're right, they are related.
I guess I'll have to talk with his vet about this. He might benefit
from 2x yearly, too. Gosh I hate overloading his system with drugs
but as Celeste said you have to measure the risks against the
benefits and do what helps their QOL.

Cheryl, I forgot to say, that his is what my vet said--she actually
mentioned that "these cats with autoimmune deficiency often
develop IBD." From reading about that in this group, I knew
it could be bad, and she agreed. Thanks for mentioning it.

I think Depo Medrol can be a miracle drug when used
carefully, for some cats.

Granted, Rhonda had a terrible experience with a similar
drug, was it one dose and the cat becale diabetic? Poor
baby.

One scary thing: this vet convinced me that Gracie has got
to have a dental, with anesthetic, ugh that scares me to death.
She said complications are very rare, and that given Gracie's
risk of infection, it is worth the risk of the anesthesia. If I do
it I am going to be a wreck until she is back in my arms, awake.
And I will do it. I want to give her every chance.