Old July 31st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default lump on back.. how to determine fibrosarcoma?

"MaryL" wrote

It's about nickel-sized though oblong, above the muscle but below the
skin. It's located next to the spine but not on it, about an inch
anterior to the pelvis. It's "pulpy-feeling", can be moved around, and
doesn't appear to cause any discomfort.

What else might it be? Abscess maybe?

Looking back now, have deleted several messages without really reading
them. Mea culpa.

Obviuously a vet visit is 'best' but here's what I have experienced.

Pulpy but not firm. More apt to be an abcess it seems and it will get firm
if not treated. Not expensive in the long run. Pretty much they lanced it
then there was an antibiotic that had to be given for I think 10 days with a
syringe. Have to see the vet to treat it.

In a house with multiple cats (some or all still naturally clawed atleast at
the back feet) this can happen from a puncture wound which leaves no outside
side any of us would see after a day or so. Can take a few weeks to build
up. Basically they make an puncture would then it seals up and leaves
infection behind 'under the skin' which slowly grows. Same can happen to us
humans.

Not to be ignored, but not a cancer. Should not wait to treat. Potential
blood poisioning from infection.

I've had a few occurances of this over the years with cats as i do not agree
with declawing and the only cats in my home who have been declawed, came to
me that way.

One scrap of advice from a vet many years ago. Not sure if related but not
'horrible' to pass on. If you have normal cats with normal claws, change
the cat litter OFTEN so they scritch about in a fairly clean environment and
carry less 'ick' that that can cause this on their claws. I do not know if
this is true, but it seemed very sensible to me in a multi-cat home and have
always followed it. I've rarely had problems since.

Hopefully this helps. It was meant to at least!