Old March 22nd 04, 12:11 PM
Sherry

That does seem really stupid. Isn't Oklahoma the state where they still
allow cockfighting? Seems they have their priorities mixed up.

Actually, cockfighting has been against the law for awhile, but
raising and fighting birds was legal. So, what do they think the
people raising the birds planned to do with them, if not fight them to
the death?

Anyway, voters banned raising them in a recent election. Unbelievably
to me, the cockfighters have a powerful lobby who are still fighting
to get the ban overturned. But, for now at least, it's against the law
to raise the birds as well as fight them.
--
Steve Touchstone,

Oh no. Now ya'll have done it. You got me on my soapbox again. I worked my b*tt
off on that campaign and circulated the petition, wrote letters, contacted
legislators. We got the issue on the ballot. The people voted, but the majority
did *not* rule. In all my naivete, I thought that's the way a democracy works,
but the Gamefowl Association is so powerful. The issue is still tied up in the
courts, who will decide whether cockfighting *now* will be a county-by-counyt
issue; with the counties (rural) that originally defeated the measure will
still allow cockfighting.
I still have faith that this is just a stall tactic and the supreme court won't
overturn it. It will be a sad day if a "vote of the people" is overturned by
the Supreme court.

Sherry