Old October 10th 15, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy the Tail-Wagger

On 10/9/2015 5:17 PM, MaryL wrote:
On 10/9/2015 3:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Honestly, I've never encountered a cat that routinely wags its tail like
a dog. I'm not talking tail lashing like when a cat is upset, angry or
stalking something. I call her Miss Flippy Tail.

I have to say, I really lucked out with this sweet orange stripey girl.
She's so incredibly affectionate.

Buffy was described by the person who took care of the cats after their
owner died as "timid". That's as far from the truth as one could get.
It was because she was being bullied by the other cat, Frankie. Poor
girl.

I guess she had no reason to wag her tail before. Wag away, Buffy! It's
very endearing.

Jill

You have described Selina. She wags her tail constantly--it is not a
"lashing" movement that would show anger. It is simply a gentle,
back-and-forward movement, and I see it whenever she is sitting or lying
on something with her tail hanging down. She was rescued from a parking
lot, and she was very timid. When I adopted her, her foster mom told me
that she always stayed in a room by herself and did not come out for
companionship. They had 12 cats and 3 dogs in the foster home, but she
has settled in nice with us. She seems happy with Duffy, Nikki and
me--and is completely safe from automobiles. It's remarkable that she
survived all the cars in a parking lot (and also true of Nikki, who was
rescued from a WalMart parking lot). One big difference between the two
is that Selina was 3 years old and was pregnant while Nikki was only
14-16 weeks old.

MaryL

I think the tail wagging is adorable.

Thank you for getting Selina out of the crowded foster home. She
probably had no idea what to think about all those other animals. I'm
glad she's settled in with you.

Cats and parking lots. Yep, it's amazing they manage to survive. There
is a feral cat colony in the area of a very busy gas station/convenience
store a few miles from my house. One day I was over there and there was
a big bus parked at the edge of the lot. There was a small black cat
hunkered down under it, right in front of one of the rear wheels. The
driver, who was Hispanic, came out and got into the bus. I don't speak
Spanish but I knew one word well enough. I ran towards the bus waving,
pointing, yelling, "Gato! Gato!" The driver got out, smiled and nodded
at me and shooed the cat away. Whew!

Jill