Old October 15th 03, 01:45 PM
Sherry

I know we split on this issue about declawing, but I was curious as to
your thoughts about renting to cats. I am happy to report that Kami
and I will be moving into a very nice apartment community. My deposit
was $100, hers $300 even though she is declaw. The thing is, the
community requires cats to be declawed and they check! They asked us
to stop by the office at our earliest convenience so they can "meet"
her. (Why they can't just drop by the apartment I have no idea.)

This got me thinking about the West Hollywood issue. Many places in
West Hollywood are upscale and high rent. I know for a fact that some
require cats to be declawed. How does that work in the face of the
fact that declawing in West Hollywood is illegal? Wouldn't you think
that as a city that supposedly abhors declawing to the extent of
legislature it would make the requirement for it within its city limits
illegal as well?

--
BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre®

Well, well. I rent a single-family house, and don't even ask for a separate pet
deposit. I just ask the tenants to steam-clean the carpet when they move. You
attacked me on three newsgroups, told the entire newsgroup community where I
live, called that method a "nonrefundable deposit" and called me a slum
landlord. I call it a workable, affordable solution so that cats (and dogs)
can stay in the house with the family, where they belong.
But when a landlord requires a major surgery in order for a cat to stay inside,
you're all for it with bells on.
Newsgroup been too quiet for you? You're trying to stir up ****, nothing more.
If you were truly interested in the legal aspect of the question, you'd post on
misc.legal.moderated, where you are a regular, not on a cat group you *know* is
passionately anti-declaw.
Sherry