Old April 10th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Fluff going for X-rays

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Will in New Haven" wrote in
message
On Apr 7, 6:08 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Will in New Haven" wrote in
On Apr 7, 1:14 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

My friend got an Airedale that was given to a local police
department
but they offered her to Bruce because a: don't take puppies and
train
them; they take grown dogs that are harder to train b: don't think
Airedales are "enough dog."
If an Airedale isn't enough dog, send a couple of men with guns.

Airedales are certainly enough dog but they are not suited for
police work.
They are terriers and far too disobedient to accept being a police
dog. It
would mean doing what they are told. Terriers do not like that.

German police forces disagreed for many years, choosing Airedales
over
other dogs, including Shepherds. The switch to bigger dogs was
ostensibly based on the size difference, not the Terrier-nature of
Airedales. At least one German trainer said that the switch to
German
Shepherds was at least partly motivated by nationalism.
______________
Perhaps it was, but then they found German Shepherds more trainable
maybe. All dogs that are classified in the Working Group by the KC
are more trainable than most terriers. Notice I say *most*
Terriers are extremely "hot-headed" and lose their temper easily,
which is great for the work they are supposed to do which is vermin
killing. I still do not think they are suited to police work.
Your view may differ.

On the other paw, the Airedales I have worked with meet your
description. You can train them to do anything but it's always a
game.
I have seen an Airedale fight with his tail wagging and a smile on
his
face, when you could see his face.

They are awful fighters. Plus they do so like to kill cats. They
are attractive dogs to look at but I would never have one.
I am getting a rat hunt on Sunday and I will need to keep my cats in
overnight when the terriers come until they are gone, otherwise that
would be the end of them. They are Patterdale terriers and will
literally kill anything they can catch, including a cat.
I have no problem with keeping them in when a rat hunt is due.

The terriers are so brave, they do not mind grabbing a very large
rat and when it sinks it's teeth into their nose they do not let go
but kill it anyway.
Their nose is then bleeding and I put antiseptic on it which they
insist they don't want and to let them at another big one. You have
to admire them.

Boyfie will catch the little ones that are not much bigger than a
large mouse. When they get up to biggies with huge orange teeth he
says "Oh. get real.." and retires to the duvet.

Tweed

I wish Molly would follow his example. The one I had to dispose of a
few days ago (because if was grossing Charlie out) had a four inch
tail. Estimated, Pam, not measured.

Jo