Old April 14th 09, 07:42 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

Default Cat gnawing on wires

On Apr 14, 12:41*pm, wrote:
First, one question--how often are you feeding her the wet? *It's best
to serve twice per day, approximately 12 hours apart. Cats don't need
more frequent feedings than that. *IMO I would stick to the wet food.

Second, is it possible to shut her out of the room where the computer
wires are? If this is not possible, you can buy clear plastic tubing,
cut a hole in it lengthwise, then stuff all of the wires insides that.
The wires are safely encased and kitty is much safer. You can use hot
sauce but IMO it's more mess than it's worth.

If she starts going for the wires, do NOT get up and feed her. Yes,
you are rewarding this (or any bad) behavior. Shut her out of the room
if you have to, but do not feed her if she does this. Since she's
already in the habit of bothering you for food, it will take some time
to break the habit, but it can be done. I suggest that, when you get
up, to NOT feed her right away. Read the paper, have some coffee, etc.
then feed her. She will learn that just because you get up, doesn't
mean that she gets fed.

I did this a number of years ago for our cats and it's nice not to be
bothered in the mornings. Even our kitten, now 7.5 months old, has
already learned this rule, since that's all she's known in her life so
far.

Well, when I had a regular job routine, I would feed her when I got up
in the morning (7:30) and when I got home from work (6-6:30) so about
12 hours apart.
I know she is only doing it because she feels like the food is "done"
or she wants fresh, not because she is actually starving or needing
food (there's a supplemental bowl of dry food she can eat but she
rarely does).
She's just doing it because she figured out that it gets me moving,
which is what she wants - attention.