Old April 7th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Mirco Chiping a cat

wrote in message
Microchipping is very safe. The odds of a problem are extremely small.
How often does an indoor only cat get outside? Mine don't hover by the
door or try very much, but they still manage to escape on rare
occasions. I've had Jay Jay for 5 years now, and he escaped twice in
the first year. I've had Sassy Taz for a year and a half, and she has
gotten out at least 5 times. (None of these times were because of me).
We got them back inside quickly. But it proves that it can happen.

I suppose it depends on where you live, but I've never had that kind of
problem with my cats. They are all "outside" cats, but they seldom leave the
property. One of them was an inside cat for about 7 years before we got her,
and the first time she went through the cat door to the outside, she just
lay on the front lawn and rolled around and really enjoyed being outside,
but then she came right in again and now she never leaves the property at
all. The only two I have that wander at all never go further than a half
block away, either to the mailbox to greet the neighbors when they pick up
their mail, or across the street to their former owners. (who got a dog that
they can't stand)
I can understand keeping cats inside to protect them from autos and or
other predators, but to prevent them from running away just doesn't compute
with me. All the "inside" cats I have ever known, won't go more than 20 feet
away from their front doors whenever they get the chance to go outside, and
even my outside cats seldom leave the property.