Old November 27th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default Cat-proofing my mattress?

Suddenly, without warning, MLB exclaimed (11/27/2010 4:39 PM):
cshenk wrote:
"Rhino" wrote

I have a conventional box spring and mattress that I am looking to
replace because it is just too hard.

I'd like to know if anyone knows any ways that I can reliably
cat-proof the new mattress so that my two cats, both of which have
their claws, don't sharpen their claws on it the way they did with
the current mattress. (I say "did" because they don't scratch it a
lot any more but I suspect that is because they are out of places
that they can scratch on the mattress that aren't already shredded.)

Tell me if it is underside or upperside? Huge difference in how to
work it.

While the mattress still works fine, it looks *awful*. They have
shredded it so badly that they can literally stick the top half of
their bodies into the holes they have made - I saw Bebop, the larger
of the two cats, do it once!

This sounds like underside, specifically the under part of box spring
with a mattress over it.

The fastest easiest way there is to flip the box spring over and nail
a thin plywood to the bottom. The super thin 1/4 inch stuff is enough
if it's cheaper. You can do this to the existing box springs if they
are still ok for use.

I will not consider declawing them so please don't even suggest it. I
do not want to banish them from my bedroom or bed either. I'm looking
for some way to deter them from sharpening their claws on the wood
frame of the mattress. In case it makes a difference, they are both
10 years old, one is male and one is female, and they are both neutered.

Not a problem. I don't declaw either. It can be worked out, just need
more info.

If it's topside of the bedding getting shredded it's a different fix
and not as easy.

Buy sheet plastic and cover the bed after making it. MLB

Well, I think he's talking about the box spring rather than the
mattress, but that might still work. Cover the box spring with the
plastic sheet, maybe they won't like the feel of it, and it's a
relatively cheap thing to try.

jmc