Old November 22nd 04, 09:05 PM
I.P.Freely

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
I usually give Mico one half of a tuna sized can of food a day. Lately

he's
been eating it all, and then wanting more. Mico is almost one and a half
years old, and is Siamese. I don't want him to become obese. Due to

hunger
he's taken to ugly habits like licking the floor when there's no more food
left. Ugh. Should I feed him more? What is 'normal' for a cat like him?

When mine were on tinned food they used to get a tin each a day & were still
hungry. I've been feeding scienceplan dried food for the last 10 or so years
and just leave a bowl out for them to help themselves.

Initially they binged because I assume they were used to eating food while
it was there when I fed them twice a day but quickly they realised that
there would always be food when they were peckish and just nibbled all
through the day. Unlike dogs, cats are able to excercise self control and
not eat everything within their line of sight and therefore shoud not really
get obese.

Of course there are rare exceptions but it also depends on what they are
fed, high fat human food might taste nice and be cute to feed them but is
basically bad for them. If you feed a good quality dried food and leave it
available all the time your cat shoud not need to binge and will eat to
suit.

--

I.P.Freely