Old October 28th 03, 11:32 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Marina wrote:

It used to be like that here around New Year's, but then the powers that be
passed a lawsaying fireworks can only be sold on certain days of the year,
or by special permission, and it has been a little more quiet since.

In many places in the U.S. (and particularly here in Southern
California) fireworks are limited to public displays. Although private
parties do still manage to obtain a few, illegally, it depends upon
where they live whether the police turn a blind eye or not. (Mostly
"not", here - and if you wonder why, refer to our news for the past
week, and imagine what might happen if everyone set off their own
fireworks on the Fourth of July!)

And the really nasty news report yesterday
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_832832.html?menu=news

"Hamster 'attached to firework and blown up'

That is incredibly obnoxious. I hope the teens get caught and have fireworks
strapped to their crotches and set off.

I'm inclined to agree with your viewpoint, Marina. I think we have
become far too "understanding" of criminal behaviour. Whatever traumas
in their childhoods may cause people to behave in such anti-social ways,
it shouldn't excuse the pain and trauma they cause to others! And
"corrective" institutions do nothing to modify behaviour (except for the
worse), because they're just prisons by another name. No government has
the financial resources to really TREAT inmates for what are
(essentially) the mental illnesses that sent them there, so maybe
"making the punishment fit the crime" isn't such a bad idea.

--
Marina