Old June 12th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

Default more about interferon side effects

On Jun 11, 2:25*pm, "Phil P." wrote:
"calvin" wrote in message

On Jun 11, 9:12 am, "Phil P." wrote:

"calvin" wrote:
Thank you. You said that as if I was just automatically
supposed to have known what "Oral interferon works by binding
to mucosal receptors in the oropharynx where it triggers
the release of cytokines" meant.

Silly me- I assumed you had a basic understanding of simple high school
biology. OK, I'll try to explain this in terms you should understand: The
outer dry surface of the body is called "skin". The moist surfaces of the
mouth and throat are called mucus membrane or "mucosa" because it

secretes
mucus. The receptors to which interferon binds are located in the mucosa

at
the back of the mouth and beginning of the throat. Are you still with me?
Mixing interferon in food would have the same effect as gargling with
mouthwash while there's food in your mouth. With food in your mouth, very
little mouthwash would reach the mucus membrane of your mouth where the
germs are. You want the interferon to come in direct contact with the
mucosal surfaces in the mouth and throat. OK?

Okay, and I will ask no more questions. *Obviously you know
very much about cats, but it would be better to find answers
from someone who is not so hostile and insulting, and from some
place other than this forum, which has declined into negativity
during the past few years since I was last productively involved
with it. *Best wishes to you all, though.

When you find that someone and someplace, you might get more cordial replies
if you don't ask the same question over and over after you've *given an
answer and other information that's backed up with credible references.

Please convey my sympathies to your cat.

One final snide, nasty insult, based on a false
assumption that I'm going to harm this stray tomcat,
who already has greatly benefitted by coming into
contact with me, just shows that you are an ego
dominated soul, not very pretty in a teacher.