Old May 10th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
weavergirl via CatKB.com

Default To see or not to see

I am glad you responded to my message. I looked at the slide show of Duffy
and the one picture close up of his face reminded me of Roxanne's eyes. Her
eyes are almost idenical to Duffy's except they are not as cloudy as his. I
had been to the vet twice in a matter of 4 days with Roxanne and each time
the vet said that she was to young to tell if she is blind or not, which I
understand because she was only 11 days and 15 days old. The vets said that
what was wrong with Roxy was age related and not vision related. However,
Roxy has had her eyes open for 8 days now and she has no control over her
eyes. She sleeps with her eyes open somewhat or even open the whole way. My
friend, who also worked/works for a vet, did the hand test and she did not
even flinched. Roxy is only 20 days old now and is still young but I want
the people interested in taking her to know of all her problems before hand,
so if they are not interested taking Roxy I can find a home for her. Also
does Duffy like to be touching you or cuddle with you? Because Roxy is fussy
when she is not touching me, not like any other cat that I had fostered
before.

MaryL wrote:
Let me just start out my story on how I aquired my foster kitten named
Roxanne. I work at a hotel and we have stray cats from the area and then

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
one. This year she had kittens again, however, she let one behind,
Roxanne.

snip
The reason I am writing this thread is because I hope someone can help me
out.

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
can
you tell if a kitten is blind.

I am writing in response to the part of your message that asks about
blindness in a kitten. The "easy" check is to move your hand back and forth
(and up and down) in front of the kitten. Watch to see if she follows the
movement of your hand. Do this in good light, but not direct sunlight that
might be difficult for a kitten to use for contrast. You could also use a
flashlight to see if there is any reaction. Is there a veterinary college
near you where you could take Roxanne for an evaluation? I have a wonderful
blind cat, Duffy. If you google, you will find that I have written numerous
times about Duffy and his incredible feats. He can do almost anything that
a sighted cat can do, and he is an incredibly loving, happy, active little
guy. I took him to Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine for an
evaluation. He is completely blind and has been blind since birth, but it
would be well worth having an examination while the kitten is young -- just
in case there is something that you can do to preserve some vision for
Roxanne. (Duffy was estimated to be 3-5 years old when I adopted him.)

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf