Old August 3rd 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Best food for cats with cystitis

Suddenly, without warning, Rick Ulrich exclaimed (8/2/2007 1:50 PM):
Hi ...
One of our cats has bouts of cystitis and a person at work said she was
told, don't know by whom, that cats should not eat canned foods with fish in
it if they have cystitis.

Is anyone have knowledge of this and if so what would be the reason? The
only canned food Saffie will eat is Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp.

We want her to eat more canned food because all dry food diet isn't good for
cats with cystitis or crystals.

Thanks, Rick & Rob

Yuppers, I've been fighting this battle with Meep for ages. I don't
know about 'fish is bad for cystitis', but given a choice between fishy
canned food and non-fishy dry food, try to stick with the canned.

I read the "addicts" page that Rene posted, and am trying some of the
suggestions, with some success. Setting the regular meal times and
having no other food down between those times does seem to help. I've
also been putting just a couple nibbles of the dry on top - she'll eat
those nibbles then decide she's hungry enough to eat some of the rest.

I have to admit I'm cheating a little though. I'm leaving the wet food
out overnight (because she likes her food on the old side, go figure),
but taking anything left up in the morning. If it's all gone, I'll put
some down in the AM and take it up before I go to work. That way, I'm
not around for her to bug I like to sleep, so I leave some (but only
canned) down at night.

She's losing a little weight, but she had some to spare anyway. At any
rate, I haven't thrown away an uneaten portion of canned food in 3 days
now, and I haven't put down more than a handful of dry, so we really are
making progress.

As the page said, in the beginning it doesn't matter if it's "junk
food". Try all different brands & types, and keep records of what she
likes and doesn't like.

Good luck!

jmc