Old June 11th 05, 05:04 PM
Karen

in article , Smokie
Darling (Annie) at
wrote on 6/11/05 8:29AM:

Karen wrote:
I have NO idea what happened between noon and 6 pm today, but Pearl is
afraid of dishes! I went to feed her as usual and she was ultra cautious
about approaching her dish and she finally got her nose to the food and then
jumped back and wouldn't eat. Now, she had a furball come up a bit later so
I thought "OK, an unusual reaction to wanting to hork up a hairball but this
must be the problem," She did then later eat some dry out of the "fav" dish
by the big cat TV, but even that was kind of "peck peck" in nature. So I
tried some chicken juice and chicken in a smaller dish. No go. I put it on
the bare floor and she ate it. So I put some in a dish like the dry food is
in, and she moved away from it, just like when they are afraid of something.
So now later I open a can of fancy feast thinking "this will do it". Nope.
She wanted it. She meowed for it, but she acted afraid of the dish. I tried
a bigger one, a flatter one, a green one. No go. Finally she was sitting on
the carpeted base of the cat tree in the kitchen and so I just stuck a lump
of the food right on the carpet. She was a tad cautious about going to eat
it (like the food might jump up and bite her) but once she took a bite, she
at the whole little pile down. Now, what happened to her????? Why is she
suddenly afraid of wet food on a dish? Did she accidentally bop herself with
one today or something? Pearl is a very outgoing cat and not very skittish.
I just cannot figure it out. It is just the most bizzare thing. I really
really hope she gets over this.

This will sound stupid (I'm getting good at that), have you changed
your dish soap? Here is my experience with cats afraid of their food
dishes:

My Barnabus has a two sided dish, one side always has dry, the other
gets a bit of dry mixed with a teaspoon of tuna and hot water for
dinner. Every other day, I wash the dish out even though it never
appears dirty. I noticed that Barnabus started acting weird around his
dish (like you describe), and he's my big boy who adores his "stinky"
(what we call their food). Could not figure it out. My DH figured it
out. I had changed the dish soap I was using. I always rinsed really
well, but apparently the soap was leaving a "flowery" scent on the
porous plastic dish. I went back to the "old" dish soap and he was
fine again.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Hmm. I did indeed get a different kind, although, breakfast and a snackie at
lunch did not produce this behaviour and it was the same dish. I'll have to
switch back, but we have an appointment Mon. just to give her mouth a look
see and make sure nothing is up there.