Old September 2nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

Default Pet Smart kittens & cats?

On 2 Sep, 13:42, Lesley wrote:
On 1 Sep, 22:15, "Sheelagh o" wrote:
The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we
don't

have
anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
birds,
rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
dogs, cats,
puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
puppies,

A place not so far from where I live calls itself something like "East
End Puppies" and according to the signs (I only go past when its
closed) sells puppies and kittens and a year or so ago, a friend was
telling me about a local pet shop that had kittens in its windows for
sale so it does go on but I don't think it's that common. Indeed at
least one or two local petshops refuse to sell any live animals at
all. The one I use is happy to put up cards from people with animals
needing homes and to act as a contact between would-be cat slaves and
the local rescue but refuses to sell any live animal
including fish (he refers people to a local aquarium shop), which is
one reason I use the place

In London we don't have "pets At Home" (is that it?) or anything like
that, I think there's one in Romford, which is quite a way away (It
was there the last time I was there but since mum died I really don't
have any reason to go back there so that must have been a few years
ago). I gather they're cheap but if you don't drive how do you get
half a ton of cat litter back? A cab would completely eradicate any
savings

Still if you have such a place locally I think it would be an
excellent idea to organise adoptions- anything that helps cats find
their forever homes is a good idea

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Big Grin
Hi Lesley,
A place not so far from where I live calls itself something like "East
End Puppies" and according to the signs (I only go past when its
closed) sells puppies and kittens and a year or so ago, a friend was
telling me about a local pet shop that had kittens in its windows for
sale so it does go on but I don't think it's that common. Indeed at
least one or two local petshops refuse to sell any live animals at
all. The one I use is happy to put up cards from people with animals
needing homes and to act as a contact between would-be cat slaves and
the local rescue but refuses to sell any live animal
including fish (he refers people to a local aquarium shop), which is
one reason I use the place

Amazing, I thought they had died out & gone away. I suppose there must
be some licenses that have to be approved before they can keep live
pets, & the possibilities are that the hassle Is not worth the
inconvenience to most retailers in pet supplies. Imagine the walking,
cleaning-out & 365 / 7/ 24hour care they require on Christmas morning
ect. I would imagine that is the basis for the reason. Nice to know
that there are one or two still around though. I can remember coming
back to the UK on Holiday, & one of my best treats used to be visiting
the pet shop, so that I could cuddle the kittens. It was a total
"Must", every holiday, Lol...

In London we don't have "pets At Home" (is that it?) or anything like
that, I think there's one in Romford, which is quite a way away (It
was there the last time I was there but since mum died I really don't
have any reason to go back there so that must have been a few years
ago). I gather they're cheap but if you don't drive how do you get
half a ton of cat litter back? A cab would completely eradicate any
savings

I'll let you into a little secret Lesley...I go up the road to a local
farmer who stocks whatever food I want, including Pets@Home kitten
food, cheaper than they can sell it to me direct. I very much support
local pet shops. I see them dropping like flies because of the new
superstores, & there is nothing that they seem to be able to do to
compete. Having said that, you don't get the kind of service in a
superstore that you normally get in a local pet shop, do you? I do
admit that I go to them for industrial loads of cat litter though. You
can imagine how much we get through with up to 12 cats & kittens @ a
time. can't you?!!! I drive, so it isn't so bad. I either take a son
to get them off the shelves for me, or I find a nice assistant playing
with food labels, & put them to work filling my industrial trolley
load of industrial cat litter, then I get them to load the car up too.
Excellent! What ore could I possibly expect? )

Still if you have such a place locally I think it would be an
excellent idea to organise adoptions- anything that helps cats find
their forever homes is a good idea

I have to agree with you there. I find that it doesn't matter when I
go there, there are always @ least about 50 people in store every
single time, so the pulling potential is there. With a vet in store
too, there are also caring cat slaves who attend the shop as well. If
you said only half of them looked @ the cats & kittens, & a quarter of
them adopted, that would mean up to & possibly over 10 homes a week.
That would be excellent. Minimum age for kittens is 14 weeks, because
they can't have thier second jabs done until then..We also have a
high rate of kittens and mother packages. Mind you, by 14 weeks old,
Mummy is quite pleased to see Tiddles & Tinkerbell on their way off in
the world without her, Lol...
I understand how they must feel )

(Don't forget that the summer break is nearly over & there are 4kids
still @ home here- well, that is my excuse anyway!!)
I have already called my coordinator to put the idea to her, & she is
ringing head office to ask permission to ask if we might take part in
a similar scheme to our friends across the pond- So, ALL Thoughts
welcomed.

I haven't spoken to you for some time, we were wondering if you are in
the new place, whether you managed to hold onto your old place, or
whether you had to move in the end, & also how Dave is doing too?
Hope all is well with you both & the moggies too of course!
sending head buts & leg weaves from ours to yours
Best Wishes Lesley,
Sheelagh "o"