Old February 15th 04, 10:59 AM
Phil P.

"Sean Hotaling" wrote in message
om...
Are there different levels of neutering a cat? I have 4 male cats that
have been neutered and one of them still sprays from time to time.
This one cat that sprays was done by a vet overseas before I got him.
One time I noticed when he was cleaning himself he had an erection, is
this possible from a neutered cat and do some cats still spray when
neutered? I thought the process removes all the sex organs in the
male, could it be possible he only had something like a vasectomy?

As strange as it may seem, its possible your cat was vasectomized. You said
the problem cat came from overseas. Some European countries strongly oppose
neutering. I may be wrong, but I think neutering animals is actually
illegal in Germany - at least that's what I've heard.

Easy enough to determine whether or not your cat was vasectomized ...
although you might feel a little nuts (literally) checking...

In the US, vasectomies are usually performed only for catteries and
research colonies. Vasectomized males are used to induce ovulation in
cycling females -- which reduces the number and duration of estrous
periods. We've used vasectomized males in an experimental program in a
feral colony with some success.

Since vasectomy doesn't produce the behavioral changes associated with
neutering (decreased roamĀ*ing, aggression, and urine marking), vasectomy
provides no benefit for privately owned pet cats.

Phil