Old April 8th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default LETTING THE CAT OUT

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:41:56 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

Yes, if the yard wasn't fenced I don't think I could let them out. Too
much stuff outside of my control.

My sister lets hers out ino her fenced yard. One day something got in and
attacked one of hers, she still has no idea what.

It's possible. But their joy overrides the risk. I always look around
before letting them out but I can miss something. They don't miss
anything though. I always watch for the first few minutes.

The only things around are possums, raccoons, and other cats. There is
no problem with possums since cats and possums get along ok. Raccoons
don't stick around in the daytime and we very rarely have them anyway.

Actually, the bigger danger is that another cat gets trapped in the
yard. They can't get in easily but it has happened.

I usually open part of the fence overnight so anything that does get
in can get out. Possums and Raccoons don't need a hole; they can climb
out with no trouble. But cats don't climb as well.

There's a risk in everything we do. Sure I can keep them inside all
the time, but they love going out. It's part of their joy in life. I
do what I can to minimize the risks.