Old August 2nd 16, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Cat Nicknames?

On 8/2/2016 2:23 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:32:15 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.

Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.

She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also,
"Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.

I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.

I call Lucy 'squeecky' sometimes, she does have a high pitched voice despite being a large cat.

When I first got Lindy (RB), she would often run through the house,
apparently looking for something or somebody, and making "Yik! Yik!
Yik!" sounds. I used to call her "Yickaby."