Old April 22nd 05, 12:48 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 21 Apr 2005 10:19:40a, Philip wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hlink.net):

Has anyone here owned a good Bengal or ... even a Bengal mix?
I've met some Bengals at Jean Mills cattery in Covina (CA) and
was taken by the handsome markings and their highly active
nature. But I'd like to hear from those who have lived with one
(or more) about their personalities ... specifically where box
training and daily temperment are concerned as a house only cat.

Thanks.

Hi Phillip. I have a pair of 8 month olds that were found as tiny
kittens with 2 others that look and act amazingly like Bengals. The
male more than the female (female cats can have litters with more
than a single mate) When I was told it was likely they are at
least a mix, I was scared. LOL. I've read Orchid's articles and
website, and the energy of these cats seemed like too much for me.
However, its been a blast so far. Yes, both of them are
mischievious (well, most kittens are anyway! ) but they do team
up to get in trouble, too. They play in water and I tried an
experiment with a kitchen sink partially filled with cool water and
waited to see 1) if they'd find it (of course they would. I can't
keep them out of the sink) and 2) what they'd do. Well, they both
got almost completely in the sink playing in it. Got soaked! I
tried this because they always try to get in my shower with me.

Rhett plays fetch and I caught it on a short video:
http://home.comcast.net/~shambondow/P2050008.MOV

I can't keep them off of shelves, even if the shelves are full and
look like they have no place to land; they ALWAYS find a place to
land. In fact, I can't keep them off of anything they want to
jump on.

As far as being affectionate, they both are very affectionate.
Rhett has the loudest rumbly purr I've ever heard and Scarlett is a
total lapcat. But, she's also the most fearless of the two, ready
to investigate anything and always the one getting in my way when I
vaccum.

I have 2 other cats, and when I chose these two from the litter of
four found abandoned (by their mom, or she met with bad fate - she
was apparently either a stray or a feral) I had one of my other two
in mind. He is a wild boy, a bully, and needed a companion who
could keep up with him, and wouldn't be easily frightened by his
nature. These two fit the bill perfectly. Rhett and Shamrock
wrestle and chase each other, while Scarlett tags along. My 4th is
a former feral trapped in my yard and is easily spooked. She has
totally bonded with Rhett, the likely Bengal (mix). I adore all of
them.

Here are pics of the kittens and the second link is an album just
of Rhett that I sent to Orchid who said they (or at least Rhett) is
likely at least part Bengal (I really need to get some new ones
up!):
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...r=1f98&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...r=8768&.src=ph

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields