Old September 6th 04, 10:28 PM
O J

Default Carry Me Daddy!

Hi All,

I was just treated to an exhibition of speed and jumping ability by my
Russian Blue, Smokey. This is a large cat with a *fourteen* inch
tail. When he gets his attack of the kitty crazies, nothing and no
one will slow him down. He will take off from four or five feet away
and leap to the back of my tall armchair.

In his normal state though, he is a delicate, frail little boy who
hardly has the strength to jump up on a desk. My DH's desk is in the
shape of an "L" and she sits facing the inside corner. Smokey will
sit at the side of Lynda's chair and meow piteously till she slides
forward enough for him to make the ascent to the seat of the chair and
then hop up onto the desk.

If he wants a drink from the faucet in the bathroom, he will first
look up at the sink, cry, and then turn to the human present. If the
human just stares at him, he will then jump up onto the seat of the
commode and thence to the counter with the sink. If someone is using
the commode, leaves the door ajar, and Smokey wants a drink, he will
pace back and forth in front of the sink meowing till whoever occupies
the commode reaches down, picks up his sorry butt, and places him on
the counter. You'd think at least the poor little man would cooperate
in this, but the attempts to grab him are met with squirming.

When he wants some crunchies from the counter where we keep a
gravity-fed dispenser in the back bathroom, he will pace back and
forth meowing to be picked up. This exceeds my personal limit of cat
concessions however, and he will again will hop up on the seat of the
commode and then to the counter.

The most amusing part of this behavior is watching the tentative
little precursors to the leaps he never makes. He will look up at the
sink's counter and make several false starts, rearing up on his hind
legs and placing his forepaws against the cabinet under the sink. He
does this as if he is getting the range and preparing to make a huge
leap that might injure the little faker if he were to miss. After he
does the movement several times he will look at the human occupant of
the room and cry. That's the time you will hear his absolute best
meows.

Regards and Purrs,
O J