Old December 3rd 10, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Paranoid feral female

dgk dgk somewhere.com wrote:

True to an extent, but kittens that are socialized before 8
weeks of age often make excellent pets. Socialization after that
can lead to a cat that will trust the one human doing the
socialization but no one else. Cats that are not socialized by
that time or are just truly feral will never be comforable
inside and probably should be left outside.

If mine is a hard-core feral female like that, they definitely do
not make good pets. I am sure that mine is more comfortable than
it was outside, but that might depend on the reality of outside in
this case. I suspect that mine was raised with no human contact
and then had bad experiences with people.

We've set up styrofoam homes for the winter

Sounds great. If possible, you might consider putting a piece of
Astroturf inside. It probably would not be too cool, and it
definitely would be comfortable and easy to keep clean. It would
help prevent tearing up the bottom of the Styrofoam, but you could
accomplish that with many other things. Good luck.

--
Thanks to the replies.